In response to the recent announcement by the Department of Health to create 'Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs)', the North East and North Cumbria have submitted an application to become an AHSN.
HIEC NE is contracted by NHS North East to focus on a number of regional projects. These are highlighted below: -
2010 / 2011 Contractual Commitments
2011 / 2012 Contractual Commitments
NHS North East have identified additional projects for HIEC NE to focus on in 2011/12 and some of these will be taken forward pending further discussions:
1. In partnership with local HEIs consider current practice in 'recruiting for attitude' in the non-medical healthcare workforce and consider what can be learnt and applied from national and international good practice.
2. In partnership with employers, develop and implement a programme to improve induction and integration of overseas doctors. Work with a couple of pilot sites in the first instance and from this develop the programme, test and implement across the region.
3. Undertake a collaborative venture with the North East Leadership Academy looking at building an inter-organisational network across the public and private sectors which will support leadership development and build long term relationships. A key focus could be to look at developing inter organisational talent exchanges.
4. Undertake a research project into the infrastructures required for successful revalidation, mainly within secondary care, and to include what other countries do in relation to revalidation in terms of operational aspects but also system change and cost implications.
5. Develop and implement creative options to spread the good practice and lessons learnt from the WDIF projects as some projects are presenting very effective innovative practice that should be adopted across the region.
6. In partnership with employers identify best practice in the development and implementation of new roles and changes in skill mix for the bands 1 -4 healthcare workforce (including the development of roles for apprenticeships and advanced apprenticeships). Identify any transferrable lessons from successful developments in skill mix from the private sector. Develop a programme for the sharing and embedding of good practice with the healthcare employers in the region.